Search This Blog

Translate

Wednesday 13 November 2013

PHOTOS: GOLDEN EAGLETS GOALKEEPER ALAMPASU’S RISE FROM ZERO TO HERO

ALAMPASU’S RISE FROM ZERO TO HERO


He was programmed to go through life as a poor guy.  But, he resisted and fought poverty with all his mind, spirit and soul.  Dele Alampasu’s thrilling story could not have been told by any person other than his impoverished father, Tomi Alampasu who thanked God for rescuing his family from the grip of grinding poverty which had ravaged generations of his lineage right from Abule Ota, in the Republic of Benin where they hail from. 

The true story of Dele Alampasu’s  rescue from the tight grip of penury is a dramatic tale that will make a masterpiece in story-telling. “I came to this (Itoki) village  in Ogun State, in 1993,” said Tomi Alampasu.  “I was indeed the first settler in what used to be a hamlet in those days.  I had come over from Sango Ota (in Ogun State)  where I had been working in the Council with the Civil Defence Corps. At Sango Ota, in Ogun State, I saw a replica of Abule Ota, in Republic of Benin. It was after I arrived   Itoki by December 1996 that Dele was born

IMG06034-20131111-1404
His Dad


“I named him Dukonanyan – a name in Egun idiom – which means ‘Tomorrow will be better for me.’  Dele has really fulfilled the prophesy in this name.  I had suffered a lot in life and when Dele was born, I had given  him that  name in the hope that he would bring brighter future for me.  This dream has come true in Dele’s phenomenal breakthrough in football.”

Dele Alampasu’s break from his impoverished background did not come easy.  “He started school at Benevolent School, Itoki,” said the father. “However, when Benevolent School moved over to Ope-Ilu, about ten kilometers away, I considered this too far for a little boy, so I registered him at Saint  Paul’s African Church Primary School, Itoki.

While Dele attended school in the morning, he did his apprenticeship in Turning – a branch of automobile mechanic works -  after school hours.  Oftentimes, he would sneak out of school to play football.

 I would thrash him for abandoning his school work and apprenticeship for football, but, he never relented.  I thought that schooling would bring success, since I was not educated.  I never knew that he was destined for greatness in football.  Soon, he abandoned his apprenticeship, abandoned school and bolted away from home.  I trailed him, and finally caught him at Oke Aro, and brought him back home.  But, this was temporary as he was soon to bolt away from home for a second and final time.”

Thus, between 2001 and 2007, Tomi did not set his eyes on his son, Dele, who was busy pursuing his career training in football. When he made his first breakthrough, he reached out to his father, who had turned into Okada (commercial motorcyclist) rider.

Dele dropped his telephone number with his father’s colleagues at the Bus stop, and promised to call back.  However, when Dele repeated his call, Tomi could no longer recognize his son who had grown very tall – beyond recognition; Dele too could not easily recognize his father who had aged beyond recognition.

“I was invited to see his mentor living at Ogba, in the outskirts of Ikeja, Lagos,”  said Tomi.  “Dele was given a fine accommodation along with some other young men.  I was also to go to the embassy to sign visas documents for Dele’s travelling.  I felt honoured the way I was treated by the White man at the embassy.

“I felt on top of the world the day my son became the best goal-keeper in the Under-17 category.  I was delighted when my son was invited to dinner with (President) Jonathan.  I knew he was a cool and focused young man.  During his adventure into the world of football, he never engaged in any criminality.  He was level-headed and maintained a decent profile.  This discipline has brought fame and honor home to me.  I am very proud of him.  I thank God for giving me Dele as a son.  Look at me, every body coming to congratulate me.  For the first time, my family name has become a house-hold name.  I thank God for this good fortune.”



IMG06039-20131111-1406





IMG06038-20131111-1406




No comments:

Post a Comment