Search This Blog

Translate

Tuesday 17 June 2014

'Rape Controversy Sold Out My Show Big Time' - Basketmouth





Nigerian comedian, Basketmouth while on Rubbing Minds last Sunday expressed gratitude to the rape joke he shared on his Facebook page which had so many Nigerians hurling insults at him. The show's host, Ebuka had asked Basketmouth what the biggest lesson he learnt after that incident was, bearing in mind that even though the joke wasn't created by him, he was roasted on social media for sharing it.
Basket mouth's reply:




None! The thing is they are all hypocrites in this country. Most of us actually are. The thing is, it's a joke. Do you understand me? It's just a joke. I'm not celebrating rape, it's just a joke. And they wanted to just kill me, you know, and I'm sorry about it, honestly, I am sorry about it, but.. I tried as much as possible not to let it consume my creativity because if I start saying, oh you can't talk about this, there shouldn't be any topic that can't be talked about, it's a joke. I crack jokes about my own death, do you understand, and people laugh about my own death,

it's just a joke. Let's grow beyond this. Definitely, I'm not going to crack a joke about rape again, I shouldn't even be saying the word.  I've learnt my lesson, but we shouldn't have limits.  
But I'm happy that controversy came up, it helped me sell my tickets. I sold out, my show was sold out big time, we even started selling standing tickets. There weren't meant to be standing tickets, regular tickets were supposed to be 25 pounds but because of the controversy, London Guardian carried the story, even compared me with Jimmy Carr, my tickets sold out. We even sold extra 600 standing tickets at 75 pounds! So I'm looking for another controversy, though not that type".

No comments:

Post a Comment