Search This Blog

Translate

Saturday 14 June 2014

WWE Legend, Pat Patterson, Says He’s Gay & Has Been In The Closet For 50 Years


WWE Legend, Pat Patterson, Says He’s Gay & Has Been In The Closet For 50 Years



WWE legend Pat Patterson just revealed that he's been living in the closet for the past 50 years -- and has finally decided to go public about that fact he's a gay man.  

The 73-year-old dropped the news on the finale of WWE Network's "Legends' House" ... saying, "For once in my life I'm going to be me now."



Patterson -- who's a WWE exec -- explained that he's been keeping the secret out of the public eye for 5 decades ... and had a partner for roughly 40 years, but he passed away after suffering a heart attack. 

 In a clip provided by WWE, a sobbing Pat, wiping his face with a napkin, said:
"Sitting here tonight, I'm gonna say something that I would never want to say, publicly. For once in my life I'm going to be me now. I survived all this, being gay. I lived with that for 50-something years. I had a friend (his partner) with me for 40 years and I lost him because he had a heart attack… It's tough guys, it was tough."
Explaining his decision to come out now, Pat continued:

I gave my life to the business, I don't regret nothing. For the rest of my life, I want to be happy."

Patterson has been Vince McMahon's right hand man for decades ... he also was the company's first Intercontinental champion and helped create the "Royal Rumble."

The whole thing was incredibly emotional ... and the reaction from Pat's fellow wrestling legends was touching -- with the guys telling him, "We love you Pat ... we always love you."


According to Bleacher Report, Patterson’s announcement in “Legend’s House” was filmed back in 2012. 
However, the show didn’t start airing until April of this year.

Patterson came from poverty in Quebec when he joined the company. He became the WWE’s first Intercontinental champion. He’s known for his signature move, the “atomic drop,” and having a part in creating the “Royal Rumble.” He was inducted into the WWE Hall of Fame in 1996. He still works for the WWE as a creative consultant.

WWE is one of the most progressive organizations in sports entertainment. WWE Superstar “Stone Cold” Steve Austin recently voiced his support for gay marriage on his podcast. Patterson is now the second WWE personality to come out of the closet. In 2013, WWE superstar Darren Young told TMZ cameras he was gay and “very happy.”

No comments:

Post a Comment