Search This Blog

Translate

Monday 30 June 2014

‘There’s dignity in the use of sex toys’ – Actress Bisi Ibidapo-Obe explains


BISI


The opening of a sex toy shop in the Magodo area of Lagos by Nigerian actress, Bisi Ibidapo-Obe has been marked with a lot of controversy.

This led to the actress saying that she did not open an adult shop as she only stocked underwear and vibrators.

However, Ms. Ibidapo-Obe is again on the defensive as she has said in an interview with The Sun that there is nothing wrong with owning a sex toy business and that Nigerians are just hypocritical.

Excerpts below:




Why did you diversify into boutique business?
Since I don’t go to location all the time I need other businesses that will bring some cash for me to make ends meet. For your information, this is not the only business I do; I am also into supply among other things.

The reason for going into boutique business was because I discovered that those living around Magodo travel far and wide to buy pants, bras and other things and this culminated in my decision to locate this kind of a store here.
Why did you include sex toys?
I did not open a sex toyshop. I sell men and women under wears and a few other things. I also have a section for body massage, body polish and other things that are related to that. On the issue of sex toys, I have this to say, if I sell sex toys so what? Nigerians are a bunch of hypocrites.

They make issues out of non-issues. When I travelled to London I saw some newly wedded couples buying sex toys but back here, Nigerians believe that those that buy sex toys are harlots. In fact, there is dignity in the use of sex toys.
Do people patronize you?
I am not into the sales of only sex toys but there is a big market for them.
Is selling sex toys based on your personal experience or your friend’s?
No.
Is it true that Nigerian men are not romantic and that is why women buy sex toys?

I don’t know anything about that. But I do know that most of those who buy sex toys are couples. I have seen quite a number of couples walk in to buy these sex toys here.


1 comment: