Search This Blog

Translate

Sunday 31 May 2015

MR. PETER OBI (EX-GOVERNOR): I’m More of a Trader than a Politician (Read)






Interviewed by Funke Olaode

You are often referred to as Mr. Simplicity. Is this a reflection of your personality?

Well, I have never really believed in retinue of aides whether in or outside of the public office. My philosophy is that you just have to live your life because office is a temporary position. I have been a bank chairman and was once a governor. While I was in all these positions I lived a very simple life. If you call it a reflection of my personality, I am humbled.


Aren’t you afraid of being attacked as some ex-public officials still move around with security apparatus?
Who will attack me? Nobody will attack me. I do not owe anybody and I don’t know why anybody would want to attack me. What did I do? For instance, you met me sitting alone. It is a lifestyle because it gives me time to think and ruminate over everything and anything. You know one of the most important aspects of my life is thinking, having a time to reflect on your life and what you are doing. How you are helping humanity and most importantly on how best you can help in building a better country.



How would you describe your early days?
It was great growing up in a loving home. My father was a businessman I was born Onitsha in Anambra State, had my primary and secondary education there before proceeding to University of Nigeria, Nsukka. I lived in many areas (I lived in Lagos and the United Kingdom). Now, I live in Onitsha.

Would you say parental influence has helped you to become who you are today?
It influenced my life a lot through my mother who raised us (myself and siblings) when I lost my father at the age of nine. I also learnt simplicity from her because she is a very simple woman. Again, I came from a very strong Christian family who believed in doing things properly. All these put together moulded my personality.

How did you cope as fatherless children?
Life would have been tough for us but I had a strong and hard working mother who took up the responsibility of both father and mother. My mother was a very successful business woman. Both my parents did well in business. Of course, I was a business man. I am a trader who got into banking when I was appointed as a director. Basically, my joy and life revolve around trading and everything I did was in transit. For instance, I got involved in politics in order to reposition my state at that time.

It has been a while since you left office where you were rated as one of the managers of resources in Nigeria. What was the secret?
I have had my time, I contributed my own quota and once you have played your role well as public officials you leave the place for other people to do. Again, as a public official you have to learn how to manage resources in a manner that it is a common wealth. You don’t own it; you are just a custodian of those resources. With modesty, I have recorded successes in my endeavours. I ran a business it was successful, I was involved in a bank it did not go down, I was involved in a state, the record is there for people to see. My view is that wherever you find yourself be careful with the management of resources.

Some of your colleagues ended up in the Senate. Why did you not pursue further political ambitions?
Well, as I said earlier, I have played my role well as a governor. Maybe those who are pursuing further political ambition still have one or two things to contribute. For me, I will continue to be in politics so that whenever government needs a help to build a better Nigeria, I will be there to serve. And in my relaxing mood I read. So I am not missing anything.

Recently, you were appointed as Chairman of Security and Exchange Commission (SEC). What are you bringing to the table?
I believe there is a lot to do; there is a lot SEC needs to do to deepen the market. There are companies that are supposed to be quoted but are yet to be. The more you deepen the market the more you create wealth for the citizens of the country. For instance, the success growth in Nigeria has not really translated into welfare of the people. One of the ways to achieve this is to deepen the stock market.

What is your philosophy of life?
People should strive to do what is right; people should strive to help in building a better society. Wherever you find yourself try and make a mark and let people see those things that you can be remembered for. Again, people look at it in terms of physical infrastructure but I look at it in terms in building the human infrastructure. And that is why I am passionate about education. Properly educated persons will help in building and directing a better society.

What lesson has life taught you?
That the country belongs to all of us and we have to work hard to build a better country, and ensure that whatever they do while holding public offices, they should strive hard (though they might not have achieved 100 per cent success) but there must be 100 per cent effort to do what is right through behaviour and the way you conduct your affairs.

No comments:

Post a Comment