Search This Blog

Translate

Thursday 15 October 2015

Business activities paralyzed In Ondo as Akure youths clash with Igbo traders


FB_IMG_1444853699847

Akure, the capital of Ondo State, has remained grounded since Tuesday following a clash between Igbo indigenes and Akure youths.

The Akure youths accused the Igbos of disrespecting their monarch, the Deji of Akure, Oba Aladelusi Aladetoyinbo.
FB_IMG_1444853691881
Eze Ndi Igbo Of Akure at the palace of Deji of Akure


 This followed the alleged refusal of the Igbos to obey the instruction given by the monarch.
DAILY POST gathered that the youths were furious over the manner the Eze-Ndigbo of Akure, sir, Gregory Iloehike allegedly addressed the Deji in his palace, when he (Iloehike) was invited.

A palace source disclosed that trouble started between the Deji and Igbo residents, following the installation of an Igbo man as the chairman of one of the markets in Akure by the Eze-Ndigbo.
Oba Aladetoyinbo was said to have been angry, having felt that it was a taboo for an Igbo man to rule over a market in Akure.

FB_IMG_1444853706361
Deji Of Akure

It was gathered that the Akure monarch immediately summoned Iloehike but that to his surprise, the Eze-Ndigbo wore his crown to the Deji’s palace, an action said to be against the tradition of Akure.


Irked by his attitude and responses to allegations leveled against him, the Chiefs and some youths who were in the palace ordered him to remove his crown.

Deji of Akure was said to have suspended him from parading himself as Eze-Ndigbo.
This development sent a wrong signal to the Igbo residents, who mobilized themselves to the palace, ordering the Deji to reverse his earlier statement on Iloehike.

But they were unlucky as Akure youths flogged them out of the palace.

Since the incident occurred on Tuesday, the Igbos, who dominate the Oba-Adesida road have refused to open for business.

Rather, on Wednesday morning, they converged on their secretariat located at Gbogi Street, Akure as early as 7.00am and warned the Akure monarch against his plan to dethrone the Eze Ndigbo.
They insisted that the traditional ruler had no power to dethrone Iloehike.

The embattled Eze Ndigbo explained that he had not been rude to the Deji of Akure since he ascended the throne about six months ago, adding that he contributed immensely to the installation of the monarch.

According to him “the Deji called me around 8.48pm last sunday inviting me to his palace and I honoured his invitation on monday morning. I went with one of my Chiefs, but when I got to the palace, I saw youths numbering over 200 who started shouting as I entered. I suspected that the youths were mobilized by the monarch and I showed respect to the Deji by prostrating for him.

“The monarch while addressing me at his palace threatened to drive all the Igbos in Akure out of the city and when I asked for the offence my people committed, the youths at the palace descended on me. They tore my beads and removed my crown. They attempted to beat me but the Police officers at the Palace rescued me.”

The Eze Ndigbo said the invitation by the monarch was the first he would receive from him since the monarch ascended the throne, pointing out that Igbos had been living harmoniously in Akure for over 70 years without friction with the natives.


The spokesman for the Deji-in-Council who is the Asamo of Akureland, High Chief Olusanya was not in his palace for comments.

In a related development,  Igbo in Akure, the Ondo State capital, have reportedly shut down their businesses to protest the planned dethronement of their Eze- Ndigbo, Sir Gregory Iloehike.

Shops belonging to the Igbo were locked in all major markets in Akure; they also withdrew their services from the markets.

The Igbo, who converged on their secretariat at Gbogi Street as early as 7am, warned the Deji of Akure against dethroning the Eze Ndigbo.

They insisted that the traditional ruler has no power to dethrone Iloehike.

It was learnt that the Deji accused the Eze Ndigbo of insubordination and disrespect.

But Iloehike said he was not rude to the Deji, adding that he contributed immensely to the monarch’s installation.

He said:“The Deji called me at 8.48pm last Sunday inviting me to his palace and I honoured his invitation on Monday morning.

“I went with one of my chiefs but when I got to the palace, I saw youths numbering over 200 who started shouting as I entered.

“I suspected that they were mobilised by the monarch and I showed respect to him by prostrating.

“The monarch threatened to drive out the Igbo from Akure and when I asked why, the youth descended on me.

“They tore my beads and removed my crown. They attempted to beat me but the police officers at the palace rescued me.”

The Eze Ndigbo said the monarch’s invitation was the first since he ascended the throne.

Iloehike said the Igbo had been living harmoniously in Akure for over 70 years without any friction with the natives.

The Igbo urged the Deji-in council not to cause inter ethnic crisis in the state.

President-General, Ohaneze Ndigbo, High Chief Okechukwu Okorie, said the Igbo have resolved to live happily with other ethnic groups in the state.

He maintained that any attempt to dethrone the Eze Ndigbo, who is the Deputy National President, Ndi Eze’N’Association of Uzo Ije in Diaspora, would be resisted by the Igbo.

Okorie noted that Iloehike, who was installed in August 2011, has not committed any offence.

Okorie added that only the Igbo who elected Iloehike have the right to remove him.

Source: Daily Post 

No comments:

Post a Comment