Search This Blog

Translate

Sunday 25 May 2014

My mum wanted me to be a doctor — Girl, 15, who lost mother in blast



Favour Ita-Akpan

 Her Late Mum had lofty plan for her, she wants her daughter to be a medical doctor. An ambitious plan it is but fate had other plans. Favour lost her mum to the tragic Bomb blast, leaving her inconsolable and confused

Read the interview she granted to Punch Newspaper After the cut



Please introduce yourself?
My name is Favour Ita-Akpan. I lost my mother, Justina Ita-Akpan, in the blast.

What kind of woman was your mum?
She was a fabulous and very generous woman. She was the best. My mother was a wonderful person.

How did you feel when you first heard about the blast?
(Sighs) At first, it was like a dream. I could not believe it. When the first bomb went off, I was still in school but I felt something went wrong. It was like someone drained blood from me. So, when I got back home and, my grandmother told me my mother was not yet back, I just knew that something had really gone wrong.

How did you feel when you later heard that she had died?
I felt very bad. I wasn’t myself at that moment. I just wished she was there by my side at that time and that everything would be fine.

What was the last discussion you had with her?
Whenever we left for school in the morning, we would leave home together but split for our separate destinations at the junction. That morning, she told me, “goodbye, be good, study hard, and stay out of trouble.”



If you had the opportunity to see her once more, what would you tell her?
I would tell her she would forever be in my heart and there will never be anyone except her. (in tears).

Are you angry with the insurgents for planting the bomb or the government for not doing enough to prevent such incident?
I would not say that I am angry with the government because they are really trying to help the situation. If I get the chance to be in government, I would try my best too. And for the terrorists, I only pray to God that someday they repent.

Did you discuss your future dreams with her?
I told her that I wanted to be a doctor so that I could treat any kind of heart disease. And she said she was looking forward to that day. But unfortunately, they took her before her time. (weeps profusely).

 Please,  We will like to hear what you feel about this story. Leave your comments below. We will like to see it here as well as the bloggers Facebook page 

Thanks 

No comments:

Post a Comment